Sheep are very interesting animals. You wouldn’t say so from the dope looks and herding mentality, but keep reading and find out what you’ve been missing.
- They have good memories – Sheep can remember the faces of other sheep and humans for years.
- Egyptians liked sheep – The Egyptians mummified sheep and they were buried with them in their tombs.
- There are billions on Earth – There are more than a billion sheep in the world and many different breeds. You will find roughly 18% of these billions in China.
- They are mentioned a lot in the Bible – Sheep are mentioned in the Bible (King James specifically) 200 times. Lambs are mentioned 191 times, ewes 10 times, and rams 172 times.
- They can power lorries – A study in New Zealand has shown that the methane released by a sheep’s flatulence can power a lorry. It would be able to give power for about 25 miles per day.
- In some countries they exceed the human population – In New Zealand, Australia, and Magnolia there are more sheep than people. In some places as many as three times more.
- They can smell really well – Sheep have a great sense of smell. They have scent glands on their feet as well as in front of their eyes.
- Sheep help weed out invasive plants – Sheep are grazing herbivores and tend to have a taste for the invasive species. Therefore, they are used to control the appearance of these plant species to help maintain biodiversity.
- They are not that dumb – Studies have shown that, despite the herding mentality, sheep have the same intelligence as other cattle and their IQ is just below that of pigs.
- A sheep was the first mammal to be cloned – Dolly was a Finnish Dorset sheep and the first mammal that was successfully cloned from an adult somatic cell. She was born in 1996 and grew to be almost 7 years old before she died of a lung disease.
Sheep are more interesting than most people may think. They were pretty important to the Egyptians and used a lot in the Bible which makes them pretty cool.